Saturday, September 17, 2011

All you need to know about Iceland

I've been here three weeks now, which I think is sufficient to make me an expert on all things Icelandic, including history, culture, geography, people, food, and politics. Ask me anything. But maybe I can beat you to the  punch with this blog post.


History


Iceland was first settled between 870-874 AD by Norwegian Vikings, making Iceland the most recently inhabited country. There is evidence of Irish monks living in Iceland for possibly a century or two before this, however, it is inconclusive.
Whatever the exact case, do not be like my American classmate who told me the other day that she met an Indigenous Icelandic woman. I questioned: "Indigenous? By which you mean: fully Icelandic...Viking? Light hair and eyes?" "No," she responded earnestly, "She had dark hair, eyes, and skin."
"Iceland doesn't have indigenous people. The Vikings were the first ones here." I said a bit confusedly.
"No, no," she replied more insistently than ever, "she was definitely indigenous - you know, like Native Americans, only Native Icelanders. 

I found out later that this "Native Icelander" is Chilean.


That's enough history for now.
Statue of the first Norwegian to discover Iceland, Leifur Eiriksson, outside of Hallgrimskirkja    

Culture


Culture seems to be more definable here than in other countries. My anthropology professor tells me that Icelandic culture is Vikings, Sagas, beer, Haldor Laxness, whales, sheep, horses, hiking, farming, the language, video games, Bjork, Sigur Ros.

Me taking part - rather enthusiastically - in a cultural event: a Rettir (sheep herding)

Geography:


Volcanoes, glaciers, geysers (Iceland boasts two of the five geysers worldwide), hot springs, flat mountains, waterfalls, fjords, little to no forestry or vegetation.
Fjord in the Westfjords
Famous volcanic eruption from Eyjafjallajokull  



Also taking part in the rettir - actually herding sheep, not just posing.

People:

As you all hoped and expected, this is what Icelanders look like:
 













 Food and drink:

Chocolate covered black licorice, skyr (super-thick yoghurt), skyrtarte (Iceland's version of cheesecake), several thicknesses of milk, beer, puffin, whale, fermented shark, fish, potatoes, hotdogs, shriveled vegetables.
Monsters. Who could eat such a creature?

Politics:


Iceland's economic crash, beginning in 2008, has led the Icelandic people to resort to rather desperate political measures. An actor/comedian, named Jon Gnarr created a fake party called: "The Best Party". He was voted into office, and is now the mayor of Reykjavik. I strongly encourage you to check out this link and watch his inspirational campaign video (make sure to watch till the end):


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/iceland/7804777/Icelandic-comedian-to-become-Reykjaviks-mayor.html



According to multiple sources, the government is corrupt, but nobody protests. The only recorded revolution to have occurred in Iceland is threateningly titled: the "Pots and Pans Revolution" or the "Kitchenware Revolution". Icelanders showed their discontent with the government after the 2008 crash by banging pots and pans outside Parliament for three days. They even threw skyr (the thick yoghurt) and snowballs at the building. Madness.


Mayor, Jon Gnarr

I hope this has been educational.

9 comments:

  1. Very educational, Elise!

    My favourite part of the mayor's platform is to have a "drug-free parliament by 2020"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. To what extent would you say that a sense of isolation and inferiority (as portrayed in Laxness' *Iceland's Bell*) is still a part of the Icelandic national psyche?

    2. In what ways has the modern Althing inherited from the medieval Althing as depicted in Icelandic sagas? (Follow up: to what extent is that depiction consistent across the sagas?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was definitely one of my favorite lines, too, John! I also like "We only need ONE Santa!" (There are eight in Iceland)

    Detail, details, Brendan (as I frantically read Iceland's Bell).

    It seems to me that the retention of the title "Althing" is probably the most prominent line of connection between the medieval and modern systems of government. But really, Brendan, this is cruel to ask ME about politics - I know you're just trying to publically expose my ignorance. I'm sure you already know the answer to your own question, but here, let me take a stab at it:

    One way I think the new model has inherited from the old is the emphasis on public participation in politics. The Althing gatherings in the sagas are depicted as the biggest and most important event of the year. All free men were welcome to attend and partake(the Sagas I've read talk of women going, too), and attendance and interest in laws were very high. Today, you can see that there is still a high level of participation in matters of government: 85% of the population votes, and there is lots of talk of politics.

    Mind you, Iceland now has a single legislative chamber, whereas up until the recent past there was not such a central power, which was kind of the beauty of the medieval Althing. There is still a lot of shared power,though, with more than 60 elected members of parliament elected from different constituencies. However, I'm not going to get into that stuff, because, to be honest, I don't really understand it.

    Follow up: To me the depiction seems pretty consistent, but I've only read three sagas, so...Jerram?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Elise

    Actually I expected Icelandic men to look more like Leifur Eiriksson...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha yeah, most of them walk around with the armour, but I haven't had the guts to take photos of them yet... this guy looked more friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friendly?!! that's what a friendly Icelandic guy looks like??. COME HOME NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess it's become relative...he looks friendly to me! He's even smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to say that you could text me photos of these men and I could use my judgment to discern whether or not they are in fact friendly, but then I realized you would have to first take a picture of them to send it to me, thus rendering useless my otherwise invaluable wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If my phone could do that, I would. That's how much I rely on your discernment.

    ReplyDelete